Facts and Figures
The Montana Brewers Association was founded in 1998 and supports the needs of Montana Brewers and their customers.
- MBA members are committed to producing the finest handcrafted beers found anywhere.
- Montana made beers are a value-added product, using malted grains grown in Montana and throughout the Northwest.
- Members of the MBA are devoted to the communities in which they live. In 2010 MBA members contributed over $100,000 to more than 400 local charitable organizations.
- Montana breweries have become an integral piece of the experience of Montana, and are a cultural attraction for many toursists visiting our great state.
- MBA members strive to have a positive impact on Montana communities by providing equal employment opportunities and paying a living wage.
- MBA members support and employ the services of other local and Montana based businesses whenever possible.
- There are 32 licensed breweries operating in the state.
- Manufacture and package over 85,000 barrels (2,635,000 gallons) of fine handcrafted beer in bottles, cans, and kegs.
- Use over 5.5 million pounds of malted grain, approximately half of which is grown in Montana.
- Have an average investment in brewery equipment and plant of over $500,000.
- Distribute products through Montana’s beer and wine wholesale distributors.
- Utilize over 5,000 retailers to sell their products, and sell in 24 states.
- Are visited by a large number of tourists who come to Montana, in part, to experience Montana breweries and their beer.
- Generate and pay taxes on approximately $24 million of revenue.
- Employ more than 230 employees and provide support for members of these Montana families.
- Pay local, state, and federal taxes in personal property, income, real estate, and excise categories.